Captain Nathaniel North North was a crewman aboard a French privateer during the Nine Years' War when he was around 17 or 18 years old. He was forced into the Royal Navy, but eventually got back to Jamaica where he once again set about privateering. Again ge net up with the Royal Navy press gangs, but escaped by jumping ship & swimming to shore. Circa 1696, North was with the privateer that captured the Pelican, which had 18 guns, off Newfoundland. Next, he & his fellow privateers secured a commission to raid the French in West Africa, but they went to Madagascar instead. They intended to rob the Moors, but had no luck. Determined to not return home empty handed, they raided villages in the Comoro Islands & then returned to Madagascar, where North was elected Quarter-Master. The next voyage was in partnership with Dirk Chivers & Robert Culiford in the Red Sea. It was during this time that the ship Great Mohammed was captured. Culiford & Chivers refused to shore the large booty of gold couns with the Pelican, saying that she had not joined in the battle. As a result, the partnership ended & the Pelican left to pursue her fortunes along the Malabar coast of India. The pirates seized three small ships. They dept one & renamed her the Dolphin. During a hurricane, the ships were badly damaged & the pirates were forced to return to Madagascar for repairs. At Madagascar the pirates split their booty, with each man receiving about 700. North then sailed as Quarter-Master under Captain Samuel Inless, who was given command of the Dolphin. In 1699 they plundered a large Danish ship & sailed to Saint Mary's Island to divide their loot, which amounted to about 400 each. While at Saint Mary's Island, four British warships arrived. Rather than surrendering to the British, Captain Samuel Inless burned the Dolphin. The British offered a parfon & several men accepted, but North, not trusting the English, commodore, took a ship's boat & his booty & fled to Madagascar, but en route, his boat was overturned during a storm. He managed to swim 12 miles to shore, but lost his treasure. During the years of 1701 through 1703, North sailed as Quarter-Master with George Booth & after Booth's death, with John Bowen. Towards the end of 1703, Bowen retired at Mauritius & North was elected as the new captain of the pirates at Madagascar. To gain slaves & women, the pirates intervened in native wars. At the beginning of 1707, North was once again Quarter-Master. This time under John Halsey aboard the Charles, which captured two British ships. Halsey took one of the prizes & sailed back to Madagascar, leaving North in command of the Charles. North's stint as captain of the Charles was brief for she was wrecked on a reef a short time later. North made it home & was found sailing in Madagascar waters in 1709. Some years later, North was killed by local tribesmen.